Saturday, May 29, 2010

Center and Focus

Earth revolves around the sun. The moon revolves around the earth and in the process revolves around the sun. But I am not on a quest to prove that I am smarter than a fifth grader. I am here to wonder aloud, yet again.

Do you ever feel that you are taking one step forward and two steps back? I feel that often, that is if I am going anywhere at all. And most of the time, I am just moving in circles. Talking about feelings, I feel we all move in circles. There is a center to our lives which is often fixed by us, and sometimes by our circumstances. But by no means would I say that these centers are fixed. They change - sometimes in a moment and sometimes it takes forever.

As a kid our world is centered around all those fun things that our parents wouldn't allow us to do. We have your crayons, our Lego blocks, our dolls, our miniature cars, our video games and our cartoon network to worry about. Every day, every hour and every wish involves these treasures. Goals and accomplishments are defined in terms of these baubles. Each laugh and each cry is the result of our accomplishments and how much closer we are to our goals.

I call them baubles now because they don't hold the same value anymore. The center of my world has shifted. It has been through many changes actually. I have heard (can't cite my experiences here since I don't have any!) that it does happen to everyone. The center moves, from parents to friends, to work, to bikes and cars and a home, to the person you build a home with, to kids, to travel and so on. Do you think we can have more than one? Or would that be a blunder? Am I wrong in calling it a center when it is just one of the focus. Could my life be an ellipse and not a circle? I am trying to find the answer, figure out where I am centered or focused right now.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

or maybe its an arrow
you are like a spacecraft
and the centers are something that make you turn a bit coz of their gravitating power.. but you still have your own path!

Rohit said...

Do I smell cynicism? :-) Nali, thoda lite le. :-D

darkra1n said...

haha Perhaps HyperEllipsoid? :D I usually feel attached to a lot of stuff.....family is one, things i want is another, friends ........hah and sometimes even work :D Oh but then what will be the limiting cases i wonder in case of Birth and Death ... hmmmmmmm interesting food for thought.

darkra1n said...

Oh n ya! LITE le :P as someone already mentioned :D

Avinash said...

a wonder worth wondering about! instead of defining our loci as a circle or an ellipse or a hyperellipsoid i would rather see ourselves as hungry nomads in search of fruits but the trees keep on changing, but nice one after a long time, be more frequent :)

Gaurav said...

How abt thinkin 3d... dat way u cud be part of many focuses...
You can even refer to Excited electrons jumping orbits :P :P

Nalini said...

@Punky: A spacecraft makes sense if i have a destination...
@Rohit: Done!! :P
@Anubhav: I feel almost exactly the same way...and then sometimes detached from everything.
@Avinash: You truly are a nomad :P And yes, I am going to try to be frequent :)
@Gaurav: 3D is complicated.. but even a sphere has a center. Like the electron analogy though... but then I wonder about my nucleus :)